Create the next step in your career with Mount Mary University’s accredited Master of Science (M.S.) in Occupational Therapy degree. This coed degree program is designed for individuals with a bachelor’s degree in any field who want to become a certified (registered) occupational therapist (OTR).
Mount Mary's Master of Science in Occupational Therapy program is a 28 month program that serves as preparation for initial certification as an occupational therapist. Students complete 21 months at Mount Mary University focusing on professional skills and then participate in a college arranged fieldwork experience for six months, putting their knowledge into practice. Following fieldwork, students complete a one-month culminating project and practice experience.
The Master of Science in Occupational Therapy features:
- The largest occupational therapy program in the state of Wisconsin
- On-campus coursework and individual attention from faculty to support you to achieve success
- A faculty-arranged, 6-month fieldwork experience where you can put textbook knowledge into practice
- Online distance learning during your fieldwork that connects classroom knowledge to fieldwork practice
- Faculty who have exceptional practice expertise, preparing graduates to navigate complex practice in diverse settings
- Graduates who work in diverse practice settings, including hospitals, schools, nursing facilities, home health care and behavioral care
Important Information About a Planned Transition to an Occupational Therapy Doctorate (OTD) Degree:
The entry-level occupational therapy program has applied for accreditation by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) of the American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA), located at 4720 Montgomery Lane, Suite 200, Bethesda, MD 20814-3449. ACOTE’s telephone number c/o AOTA is (301) 652-AOTA and its Web address is www.acoteonline.org. Beginning January 16, 2019, the submission of application materials will be for consideration of admission to the proposed OTD program, which is projected to begin in August of 2020. Final approval for admission to the OTD program is contingent upon ACOTE approval and is projected to be December 2019.
The OTD program must be granted Candidacy Status, have a preaccreditation review, complete an on-site evaluation, and be granted Accreditation Status before its OTD graduates will be eligible to sit for the national certification examination for the occupational therapist administered by the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy (NBCOT). After successful completion of this exam, the individual will be an Occupational Therapist, Registered (OTR). The entry-level master’s program remains accredited throughout the transition timeline and would qualify candidates to sit for the national certification examination for the occupational therapist administered by the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy (NBCOT).
The proposed OTD program features:
- interprofessional collaboration to develop policies and systems
- synthesis of theory and relevant literature to design solutions for practice challenges
- exploration of challenges that go beyond conventional practice boundaries
Take the Next Step at Mount Mary
- Learn about current tuition rates and financial aid options.
- Check out the program’s prerequisites and degree requirements.
- Contact your graduate admission counselor to get questions answered.
- Start creating your Mount Mary experience: Apply today!
The entry-level occupational therapy master’s degree program is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) of the American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA), located at 4720 Montgomery Lane, Suite 200, Bethesda, MD 20814-3449. ACOTE's telephone number, c/o AOTA is: (301) 652-AOTA and its web address is: www.acoteonline.org
For more information about program outcomes for Occupational Therapy, please visit the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy (NBCOT) website: https://www.nbcot.org/en/Educators/Home#SchoolPerformance
I CHOSE MOUNT MARY BECAUSE CLASSES ARE OFFERED TWO DAYS A WEEK, WHICH ALLOWS FOR FLEXIBILITY IN LIFE OUTSIDE OF SCHOOL. THE FACULTY ARE VERY CARING AND KNOWLEDGEABLE, TOO.