You are making a difference in the lives of Mount Mary students
Help transform the lives of current and future students through a number of different giving options at Mount Mary University. We encourage you to consult your tax adviser or attorney regarding the specific tax and legal benefits of each type of gift.
For further assistance, contact the Development Office, email@example.com.
Outright gifts are the simplest form of contribution and are tax deductible. There are three ways to make an outright gift:
- Make a cash gift online using a credit card or electronic check.
- Mail a check (payable to Mount Mary University) to: Mount Mary University, Attn: Development, 2900 N. Menomonee River Pkwy, Milwaukee, WI 53222-4597.
- Call (414) 930-3034 to arrange for stock transfers, electronic transfers or credit card gifts via the phone.
If you wish to make an annual gift, you can arrange for monthly automatic deductions from you credit card or checking account to reach the annual gift amount.
- Securities—Mount Mary appreciates securities contributed to the university. Securities with shares that have increased in value are most beneficial. Gifts of securities include not only publicly traded stocks, but also mutual funds, Treasury bills, notes, bond and closely held stock.
- Gifts-in-kind—A gift-in-kind is a gift of tangible property such as books for the Haggerty Library, artwork, furniture, antiques, jewelry or items for the Historic Costume Collection. The owner is responsible for having the items appraised.
- Real estate: A gift of real estate may be an outright gift, or it could be a planned gift (see below).
- Shop online—Use smile.amazon.com and see your purchases go farther. Simply create an account, choose Mount Mary University as your favorite beneficiary and start shopping! Amazon will give .5% of every purchase back the University. It's that easy to make an impact.
Did you know there's a new bite-size way to give to Mount Mary? By joining our monthly giving program True Blue, you become part of a very special group of donors helping to ensure that the next generation of Mount Mary students are given the resources they need to succeed. Visit TrueBlueMMU.org to find out more.
Tribute and Memorial Gifts
Mount Mary offers several ways for you to make a memorial gift or honor a loved one. You can make a one time gift, establish an endowed scholarship, endowment fund or planned gift as a memorial.
You can personally impact students’ education and experiences at Mount Mary. Your CLASS GIFT is an investment in a future Mount Mary alum who will soon be a leader in our community. It also ensures that Mount Mary University can continue to offer a life-changing experience. . . whatever path she may choose. Make your class gift now at mtmary.edu/reunion.
Many employers offer charitable matching gift programs. A matching gift could double the gift you give to Mount Mary. Contact the human resources office at your or your spouse’s employer to learn about the company’s matching gift program and to obtain the appropriate paperwork for the gift.
- Bequests—A bequest is a great way to create a legacy in your name or in a family name, establish a memorial to honor a significant person in your life or show your gratitude. A bequest is made through your will or a revocable trust. A bequest is easy to arrange, will not alter your current lifestyle and easily can be modified to address your changing needs. The Development Office can provide you appropriate wording for your bequest.
- Life insurance—You can sign over an existing life insurance policy, making Mount Mary the beneficiary and owner of the policy. In general, you will be entitled to an income tax deduction for the cash surrender value and can deduct the amount of future premiums. You also may purchase a new life insurance policy and name Mount Mary as the beneficiary and owner of the policy. Rather than paying premiums to the insurance company, you make tax deductible cash gifts to cover the annual premiums. Through relatively modest annual gifts, you can create a major irrevocable gift.
- Retirement gifts—You can name Mount Mary as the beneficiary of a 401(k) or other tax-deferred retirement plan. There are significant estate taxes if the retirement plan goes to a family member versus being given to a qualified not-for-profit 501(c)3 organization such as Mount Mary.
- Real estate—Real estate may be given through a will or trust that names Mount Mary as the owner. It is possible to transfer ownership of your personal residence to Mount Mary during your lifetime. You will receive an income tax deduction for the property and can continue to use the property.
- Charitable trusts—You can make a gift to Mount Mary through a living trust, charitable remainder trust, charitable uni-trust or charitable lead trust. Minimum gift accounts may apply. Contact the Development Office for more information on these options.
Help students like Susan write their next chapter
“The resources offered by my advisors and professors, to ensure we students succeed, made Mount Mary my ideal choice.”