Moving to Milwaukee
Milwaukee is the largest city in Wisconsin, offering many opportunities for employment, internships, entertainment, volunteering and fun. The lakeside city is known as the “City of Festivals” and “Frozen Custard Capital of the World,” and was recently was named as the Midwest's coolest city by Vogue Magazine. Whether you want to mix it up on the dance floor, experience live music or theater, tour art galleries, cheer on a professional sports team or visit a museum, there’s something new to explore every weekend.
There are lots of properties in the area available for rent or purchase. Here are some helpful search engines for properties:
New housing/apartment complexes
- Pasedena Apartments - Wauwatosa
- Normandy Village - Wauwatosa
- Mayfair Manor - Wauwatosa
- Dwell Bayview - Milwaukee, Bayview
- Joseph Property Development – Shorewood, Lower East Side, Third Ward
- New Land Enterprises –throughout Milwaukee
- The Enclave – Luxury Apartments in Wauwatosa
- The North End Apartments – Luxury Apartment Homes in Milwaukee
We have a student bulletin board on campus outside of the financial aid office (NDH 139) where you can check postings for “roommates wanted,” “room for rent,” etc.
Mount Mary University also offers limited on-campus housing to all female students.
Dining and Grocery
There are a number grocery stores within 5 miles of campus. From local stores like Sendik’s, Pick-N-Save, and Metcalfe’s Market to large names like Meijer, Whole Foods, and Trader Joe’s. With a quick Google search you can find a diverse selection of food and dining in the area.
Mayfair Mall (2 mi. from campus) offers shopping, dining, and a movie theatre.
Mayfair Collection (2 mi. from campus) offers retail, dining, and nightlife.
Approx. 4 mi. west of campus you can find department stores and shops such as Target, Walmart, Lowes, REI, PetCo, and more.
Things To Do
Popular area attractions include the Milwaukee County Zoo, Milwaukee Art Museum, a ballet company, the symphony, and internationally acclaimed and local live theater productions. The city also celebrates its cultural diversity with various ethnic festivals each summer and hosts the world’s largest music festival—Summerfest.
Use your Mount Mary student I.D. for discount entrance prices at local museums and other local events.
Milwaukee has 10 beautiful miles of lakefront views and beaches, as well as 140 award-winning county parks where you can go hiking, kayaking, biking, running, disc golfing, picnicking or cross-country skiing.
If indoor recreation is more your style, you can go ice skating at the Petit National Ice Center, bowling at one of the many local alleys or work out at Mount Mary’s on-campus fitness center.
Mount Mary University’s campus is located in a residential neighborhood within walking distance to a few restaurants and shops, and a few blocks from a major shopping mall. Take a car, bike, or public transportation to experience Milwaukee’s beachfront, restaurants, attractions, downtown and more.
- By Car: Mount Mary is within about a 15-minute drive to many Milwaukee area attractions, including the lakefront.
- By Public Transportation: The Milwaukee County Transit System operates bus routes #57 and #60 along 92nd Street and Burleigh Street that stop near Mount Mary and connect you to various parts of the city.
- By Bike: Mount Mary is connected via the Menomonee River Parkway to the Milwaukee County Parks’ Oak Leaf bike trails.
Milwaukee's Known Attractions
- Milwaukee Public Museum
- Milwaukee Art Museum
- Summer Fest
- Discovery World
- Miller Park
- Miller Brewery
- Milwaukee Co. Zoo
- BMO Harris (Bradley Center)
- Harley Davidson Museum
- Pabst Theatre o The Domes (Mitchell Park Horticultural Conservatory)
- Basilica of St. Josaphat
- Historic Third Ward
- Milwaukee Public Market
Health Care Options
- Froedtert Hospital – Emergency Room located approx. 3 mi. from camps
9200 W Wisconsin Ave, Milwaukee, WI 53226; p: (414) 805-3666
- Aurora Advanced Healthcare – Approx. 1.5 mi from campus
2999 N Mayfair Rd #100, Milwaukee, WI 53222; p: (414) 274-7220
- Animal Care Hospital/Clinic – Approx. 2 mi. from campus
10001 W Lisbon Ave, Milwaukee, WI 53222; p: (414) 535-7777
- Swan Serv-U Pharmacy
- Wilkes Village Pharmacy
- Meijer Pharmacy
- Aurora Pharmacy
Student Health Insurance set up through Student Affairs: (414) 930-3065
The Counseling Center located in the Student Success Center on campus offers free individual counseling.
There is a mailroom located on campus to purchase stamps and mail packages. Other options within 3 mi of campus:
- U.S. Post office: 1655 N Mayfair Rd, Milwaukee, WI 53226
- UPS: 12226 W Bluemound Rd, Wauwatosa, WI 53226
- Fed Ex: Shoppers World of Brookfield, 12455 W Capitol Dr, Brookfield, WI 53005